The University of Derby has named five law firms to a legal services contract worth an estimated £600,000 over four years.
The framework agreement was divided into the following lots:
- Commercial (predominantly review and drafting of commercial contracts).
- Real estate (to include transfer of freehold interests, grant and taking of leasehold interests, planning, construction and disputes).
- Human resources (to include employment disputes and general advice).
- Commercial and student disputes (to include all disputes apart from employment disputes).
- Research and innovation activities (to include reviewing and drafting of contracts, commercialisation of research and advice on the protection of the university’s research derived IP portfolio).
- Governance (to include advice on organisational governance, charity, higher education and academic registry).
- Lending (to include advice regarding the university’s Invest to Grow programme (for example, drafting and negotiating loan documentation for lending below £500,000 and the registration of security).
The successful firms were:
- Capital Law (Lots 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7);
- Flint Bishop (7);
- Penningtons Manches Cooper (1, 4);
- Shakespeare Martineau (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7);
- VWV (2, 3, 5, 6).
The contract was awarded on the basis of quality (weighting: 70) and price (weighting: 30).
The agreement is for an initial 12-month period with options to extend on an annual basis for an additional three years.