Iris Ferber and Andrew Carter discuss how to navigate the numerous rules in play in regards to deposits and section 21 notices.
The pair consider the following questions:
- What are the rules on taking tenancy deposits?
- Can you serve a section 21 notice when a deposit has (or has not) been taken?
- What if a deposit was taken, but it did not comply with the rules?
- Can a landlord later correct errors made when the deposit was taken?
- … and why are the rules so mind-bogglingly complicated…?
About the speakers
42 Bedford Row Chambers
Iris is an established Housing and Employment Law specialist, with a particular interest in discrimination law, including disability discrimination law. She is listed in both the UK Bar legal directories (The Legal 500 and Chambers UK), for both her Employment work and her Housing work.
Andrew joined Chambers in 2020 from an in-house role with HMRC working in civil fraud and tax with particular expertise in insolvency and proceeds of crime litigation, including freezing injunctions and search orders. Andrew qualified in Australia in 2013 where he practiced largely in crime and child protection for Victoria Legal Aid.