Purpose of the Module
To support councillors in the key role of chairing all types of local authority meeting.
- Councillors with chairing roles e.g. Chair of Council, scrutiny chair, chair of a committee, chair of a joint forum, chair of public meetings
- Newly elected councillors (ideal as part of an induction programme) who may be asked to chair meetings
- Refresher know-how for returning councillors
- Local authority meetings – why they are different!
- What types of meeting might you chair – adapting your approach
- The role of the chair
- The legal framework you need to know
- Your constitution
- Open and private meetings
- Keeping order
- Skills and approaches to ensure effective meetings
- Key actions before, during and after meetings
- What can go wrong and how to manage it if it does!
Relevant for all the skills given the need for effective chairing of meetings in the context of
- Local leadership
- Partnership working
- Communication skills
- Political understanding
- Scrutiny and challenge
- Regulating and monitoring
That councillors already in chairing roles, and those who might take on this responsibility, have a clear understanding of how to be most effective as a chair.